The small economy of Dubai has recently developed into a world city that is a business and cultural focal point in the Middle East. Dubai has the attention of the world, because it is the fastest growing city in the world! In 1991, Dubai had just one tall building and it was at the edge of the desert. Now they have over 400 high rises!
Tourism and real estate drive the economy, and there seems to be a never-ending development of innovative and over-the-top projects.
Let me give you some interesting Dubai facts:
1. Foreigners make up most of Dubai’s population! The local people, called Emirates, are just 15% of the total! These local people are provided with free education, free medical care and free housing. However, lately their subsidies have been cut back and they have been encouraged to get jobs (mainly government and tourist positions).
2. There is no standard address system in Dubai, making deliveries is a challenge. Instead of an address line, there is a space to draw a map or leave instructions such as this: ‘I live on the street after the airport road, but before the roundabout, Go past the mosque and make a U-turn. It’s the second house on the left.’
3. Oil was discovered in Dubai in 1963, but today oil accounts for just a small portion, about 11%, of the national income. Tourism and trading are much bigger components of their economy.
4. The Dubai Mall is the largest shopping center in the world with over 1.200 stores. Many major American stores were among them, including Gymboree, Pottery Barn, Harley Davidson and a bunch of designers. While you are at the mall. Do not forget to visit the Burj Khalifa, with its 688 meter, the highest tower of the world.
5. The above ground metro station opened in Dubai 2009. It consists of 42 stations and was built in just 18 months. Yes, folks, they’ve built an entire system is less than two years!
6. Dubai asked Disneyland to consider building a resort here and Disneyland turned them down, saying Dubai was too small. So Dubai decided to construct its own theme park called Dubai-land. It will be twice the size of Disney-world in Florida and is expected to be the largest tourist draw in the world, with 200,000 people daily. They have signed deals with Marvel Comics, Universal Studios and others.
7. The most luxurious hotel in the world is in Dubai and it’s called the Burj Al Arab. It bills itself at a 7-star hotel and is built on a man-island just off the coast. You cannot enter the island without a reservation, and a cup of coffee cost approx. 20 euro.
8. There are no personal taxes in Dubai.
9. During the summer, the temperatures reach 120 and don’t fall below 100 even at night! Even the bus stops are usually air-conditioned.
But most surprising for me was the fact that business wise Dubai is still best compared with a small village. Everybody knows each other and friendship with the right people brings you closest to new orders.
The innovative character of the city combined with the feeling of a small village is describing for the identity of Orange Climate. We have a local and personal approach and are always looking two steps ahead into the future to make the people and the environment better.
Looking for grilles or diffusers in the UAE? Contact our agent Utmost today. You will find the contact details on the contact page of www.orangeclimate.com